This is an impressive series of critiques by Gomi (maiden name: Tomizawa), the then-Chief Editor of a coterie magazine, “FILM 1/24.” Gomi evaluated animated works—Japanese or foreign, long or short—from a balanced perspective without favoritism. She was honored with the Ōfuji Noburō Award in Anime Division in the Mainichi Film Award.
Before World War II, Taihei Imamura’s Manga Eigaron [A Study of Comics and Films] was the only literature on animation. In recent years, there is much literature to read. I recommend literature based on my impressions while reading them, rather than as general source materials. Other than those 10 books I chose, L. Martin’s Of Mice and Magic and Takuya Mori’s Teihon Animation no Gyagu Sekai [General Reader: World of gags in Animation] were two memorable literature sources. It might be presumptuous for me to recommend my coauthored book, Nihon Animation Eiga Shi [A History of Japanese Animation Films], but I am proud to say that the Library of Congress in the United States has purchased it.
- Mori, Takuya. Animēshon Nyūmon, Bijutsu Shuppan-Sha, 1966.
- Tomono, Takashi and Mochizuki, Nobuo. Sekai Animēshon Eigashi, Parupu, 1986.
- Gomi, Yōko. Animēshon no takarabako, Fusion Product, 2004.
- Sito, Tom. Mikkī mausu no sutoraiki! Amerika anime rōdō undō 100-nen-shi, Godo Shuppan, 2014.
- Nishimura, Tomohiro. Nihon no animēsyon wa ikani site seiritu sita noka, Shinwasha, 2018.
- Imamura, Taihei. Manga eiga ron, Daiichi Genbunsha, 1941.
- Hagihara, Yukari. Masaoka Kenzo to sono jidai ‘Nihon animeeshon no chichi’no senzen to sengo, Seikyusha, 2015.
- Yokota, Masao. Dai hitto anime de kataru shinri gaku: `kanjō no tani' kara tokiakasu nihon anime no tokushitsu [Psychology as Relayed by Major Hit Anime: The Characteristics of Japanese Anime That Resolve the “Emotional Valley”], Shin'yōsha, 2017.
- Takahata, Isao. Manga eiga (animēshon) no kokorozashi ―`yabu nirami no bōkun' to `ō to tori', Iwanami Shoten, 2007.
- Hoshi, Makoto ed. Densetsu no anime shokunin (kuriētā)-tachi (dai 1-kan), Mandarake Shuppanbu, 2018.