Statistics and analysis published annually by the Association of Japanese Animations. Useful for keeping abreast of the industry’s current state. Contains ample material on the entire industry, as well as market size broken down by genre and the locations of production companies. Another source of statistics is the Digital Contents White Paper (Digital Content Association of Japan).
Given the vitality of the animation business within Japan and overseas, there is a surprising dearth of work dealing with this topic. I considered creating a list that balances publications about management/production, copyright issues, finances and overseas topics, but many quality works have become dated. I tried here to select recent publications will give you a bird’s-eye view of the animation business. Also, I emphasized statistical material, as this field is often not backed up by numbers.
- Mizuho Ginko Sangyo Chosashitsubu, Kontentsu sangyou no tenbou – Kontentsu sangyou no sara naru hatten no tame ni (Outlook for the Content Industry – Toward Further Development of the Content Industry), Mizuho Sangyo Chosa Vol. 48, 2014
- Anime Sangyou Repooto 2016 (Anime Industry Report 2016), The Association of Japanese Animations, 2016
- Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu LLC edition, Kontentsu bizinesu manejimento Ver. 2.0 (Contents Business Management Ver. 2.0), Nihon Keizai Shinbunsha, 2007
- Hiromichi Masuda, Dejitaru ga kaeru anime bijinesu (Digital Changes the Anime Business), NTT Shuppan, 2016
- Kazuya Masumoto, Anime wo shigoto ni (Making a Living in Anime), Seikaisha Shinsho, 2014
- Hirobumi Doi, Chosakuken bijinesu kouzou bunseki (Structural Analysis of the Copyright Business), Contents City Shuppan Jigyobu, 2012
- Atsushi Naito and Yoshiro Masumoto (authors), Kensaku Fukui (editor), Eiga/geemu bijinesu no chosakuken (dai 2 han) (Copyright for the Film/videogame Business, Second Edition), Copyright Research and Information Center, 2015
- Masaki Kaifu, Frederik L. Schodt, Mami Toyonaga, Ian Condry, Ryutaro Mihara, Takeshi Matsui, Tadashi Sudo, "Kensho COOL JAPAN Hokubei ni okeru nihon no poppu karuchaa (COOL JAPAN Japanese Pop Culture in North America)," Hitotsubashi Business Review 2010 Winter Edition, Vol. 58, No. 3, 2010
- JETRO Creative Sangyouka, JETRO Shanghai Jimusho, Chuugoku kontentsu shijou chousa 6 bunya, Chuugoku anime shijou chousa (Chinese Contents Market Analysis in 6 Fields, Chinese Anime Market Analysis), JETRO, 2015
- David A. Price, The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company, Tantor Media Inc, 2008