One the many recent technique books specializing in the creation of characters. This book, however, distinguishes itself by trying to put into words the source of the appeal of beautiful girl characters.
“Battles” are the most popular subject matter for animation, but are challenging when it comes to theory. One of the reasons is that “battles” erupt within the messiness of many factors including personal desires, the premise of a group’s establishment, and the trends of the times. I selected the books on this list to offer approaches for dealing with that messiness. The publications are listed in chronological order based on the release year for the animation work being discussed.
- Eiji Ootsuka, Atomu no meidai: Tezuka Osamu to sengo manga no shudai (The Proposition of Atom: Osamu Tezuka and the Themes of Postwar Manga), Tokuma Shoten, 2003
- Nobuyuki Tsugata, Anime sakka toshite no Tezuka Osamu – Sono kiseki to honshitsu (Osamu Tezuka as Anime Artist –Trajectory and Essence), NTT Shuppan, 2007
- Touji Kon, Puramoderu shinkaron: Zerosen kara PG gandamu made (Evolution Theory of Plastic Models: From the Zero Fighter to PG Gundam), East Press, 2000
- Gou Sasakibara, ‘Bishoujo’ no gendaishi: ‘Moe’ to kyarakutaa (The Contemporary History of ‘Beautiful Girls’: ‘Moe’ and Character), Kodansha, 2004
- Takaaki Yoshimoto, Natsu wo koshita eiga (Cinema Beyond Summer), Ushio Shuppan, 1987
- “OUT” April Edition, Vol. 4 No. 4. Minori Shobo, April 1980
- Minako Saito, Kouittenron – Anime, tokusatsu, denki no hiroin zou (Theory on Being the Only Girl – The Figure of the Heroine in Anime, Visual Effects and Biographical Works), Chikuma Bunko, 2001, first edition from Village Center Shuppankyoku, 1998
- Taro Igarashi (ed.), Evangelion kairaku gensoku (Evangelion Pleasure Principle), Daisanshokan, 1997
- Reizuna Kato, et al, Purikyua shindoroomu! Purikyua 5 wo unda 25 nin (Precure Syndrome! The 25 People Who Created Precure 5), Gentosha, 2012
- Kei Tanaka, Orijinaru bishoujo geemu no kyarakutaa ga egakeru eshijiten (Visual Dictionary Depicting Original Beautiful Girl Game Characters), Softbank Creative, 2011