This slightly older reference is a key work on anime research edited by a Japanese literature scholar. It contains chapters by Susan Napier, Thomas Lamarre and others, who look at Japanese anime from the points of view of comparative literature and media culture. It includes Sharalyn Orbaugh’s work on the development of international Japanese studies, which focuses on science fiction and popular culture. (Nakagaki)
The following list of recommended references was selected and written by researchers and experts trusted by the Research and Education Committee; however, there are, of course, other important animation study references that have not been included. This list was prepared by members of the Research and Education Committee to examine more closely certain references. (Authors: Kayama Takashi, Sugawa Akiko, Nakagaki Kotaro)
- Yoshimi, Tomofumi. The Imaginative Power of Animation: The Coming and Going of Imagination Between the Character Text and the Visual Text, Kazama Shobo, 2015.
- Tsugata, Nobuyuki. The Imaginative Power of Animation: The Coming and Going of Imagination Between the Character Text and the Visual Text, Nippon Hyoronsha, 2016.
- Kurihara, Utako. Animation That Does Not Tell Tales: The Strange World of Norman McLaren, Shumpusha, 2016.
- Matsunaga, Shintaro. Sociology of Animators: Occupational Models and Labor Issues, Mie University Press, 2017.
- Masaoka, Kenzo. A Collection of Masaoka Kenzō’s Storyboards for “The Little Mermaid’s Crown”, Seikyusha, 2017.
- Tsugata, Nobuyuki. Shinban Animēshon-gaku nyūmon, Heibonsha, 2017.
- Yamamura, Takayoshi. (Fukyūban) Anime/manga de chiiki shinkou – machi no fan wo umu kontentsu tsuurizumu kaihatsuhou, PARUSBOOKS, 2018.
- Koyama, Masahiro and Sugawa-Shimada, Akiko. Study of Animation [Application]: 11 Tricks for Mastering Animation, Gendai Shokan, 2018.
- Denison, Rayna. Anime: A Critical Introduction , Bloomsbury, 2015.
- Seaton, Philip. Contents Tourism in Japan: Pilgrimages to “Sacred Sites” of Popular Culture, Cambria Press, 2017.
- Lamarre, Thomas. The Anime Ecology: A Genealogy of Television, Animation, and Game Media, University of Minnesota, 2018.
- Yoshimitsu, Masae et al. eds. Post-“Kawaii” Cultural Sociology: Searching for Girls’ “New Fun”, Minerva Shobo, 2017.
- Bolton, Christopher. Interpreting Anime, University of Minnesota Press, 2018.
- Brown, Steven T. Cinema Anime, Palgrave Macmillan, 2006.
- Clements, Jonathan. Anime: A History, British Film Institute, 2013.
- Galbraith, Patrick W. The Moe Manifesto: An Insider's Look at the Worlds of Manga, Anime, and Gaming, Tuttle, 2017.
- Napier, Susan. Miyazakiworld: A Life in Art, Yale University Press, 2018.
- Herhuth, Eric. Pixar and the Aesthetic Imagination: Animation, Storytelling, and Digital Culture, University of California Press, 2017.