This three-volume book is the largest, deepest, most comprehensive text of its kind, based on the idea that animation is an art form that deserves its own place in scholarship. It offers readers glimpses into the animation of Russia, Africa, Latin America, and other often-neglected areas, and introduces over fifty previously undiscovered artists. Full of first-hand, never before investigated, and elsewhere unavailable information, Animation: A World History encompasses the history of animation production on every continent over the span of three centuries. IN ENGLISH.
- Giannalberto Bendazzi, Animation – A World History, CRC Press, 2016
- Giannalberto Bendazzi, L’uomo che anticipò Disney, Tunuè, 2007
- Giannalberto Bendazzi, “The Italians Who Invented the Drawn on Film Technique,” Animation Journal, 1996
- Michael Barrier, Hollywood Cartoons – American Animation in its Golden Age, Oxford University Press, 1999
- Leonard Maltin, Of Mice and Magic, New American Library, first edition 1980, revised edition 1987
- Robert Benayoun, Le dessin animé après Disney, Jean-Jacques Pauvert, 1961
- Brigitta Iványi-Bitter, Kovásznai – A Cold War Artist, Research Center Foundation, 2016
- Henry T. Sampson, That’s Enough, Folks, The Scarecrow Press, 1998
- Denys Chevalier, J’aime le dessin animé, Denoël, 1962.
- Paul Wells, Animation – Genre and Authorship, Wallflower, 2002
It is not easy to say what is "essential". (For myself? for everybody? for today or in all times etc.) What is essential depends by a context which does it essential or not, and all contexts are not similar...I always combine ideas that I find in different sources..In any way as you suggest "They are not necessary to deal with animation directly" I can mention books that I like and are references for me.
- Rudolf Arnheim, Art and Visual Perception, A Psychology of the Creative Eye, University of California Press, 2004
- Jacques Lecoq, Le Corps poétique : un enseignement de la création théâtrale, Actes Sud, 1999
- Various Books on Bauhaus
- Betty Edwards, Dessiner grâce au cerveau droit, Mardaga, 2014
- Giannalberto Bendazzi, Pages d'Alexeïeff, Annecy,14e JICA, 1983
- Giannalberto Bendazzi, Animation: A World History, Focal Press, 2015
- Theodor Adorno, Aesthetic Theory, University of Minnesota Press, 1998