Various articles of Alexandre Alexeïeff.
It is not easy to say what is "essential". (For myself? for everybody? for today or in all times etc.) What is essential depends by a context which does it essential or not, and all contexts are not similar...I always combine ideas that I find in different sources..In any way as you suggest "They are not necessary to deal with animation directly" I can mention books that I like and are references for me.
- Rudolf Arnheim, Art and Visual Perception, A Psychology of the Creative Eye, University of California Press, 2004
- Jacques Lecoq, Le Corps poétique : un enseignement de la création théâtrale, Actes Sud, 1999
- Various Books on Bauhaus
- Betty Edwards, Dessiner grâce au cerveau droit, Mardaga, 2014
- Giannalberto Bendazzi, Pages d'Alexeïeff, Annecy,14e JICA, 1983
- Giannalberto Bendazzi, Animation: A World History, Focal Press, 2015
- Theodor Adorno, Aesthetic Theory, University of Minnesota Press, 1998