Book written for fans immediately after the anime boom hit its peak. The writings by authors well versed in anime convey the excitement of that era. This book is important for discussing Gainax’s work, the arrival of “moe” characters, and further developments in anime history.
The fact that I’m compiling this list means that this list will have nothing to do with “academism.” That is to say, I picked books to understand “anime history” and not the history of animation, and I focused on commercial books that probably haven’t gotten much attention in academic circles. However, I excluded my own books, and I also deliberately left off some standard references. The list is in chronological order based on publication date.
- Noriaki Ikeda (ed.), Anime daisuki! Yamato kara gandamu he (We Love Anime! From Yamato to Gundam), Tokuma Shoten, 1982
- Animage Henshubu (Animage Editorial Department), TV Anime 25 nenshi (25 Years of TV Anime History), Tokuma Shoten, 1988
- Eiichi Yamamoto, Mushi puro koubouki – ANI MEITA no seishun (The Rise and Fall of Mushi Productions: The Youth of ‘Ani Metor’), Shinchosha, 1989
- Toei Doga (ed.), Majokko taizenshuu Toei Doga hen (Compendium of Magical Girls, Toei Doga edition), Bandai, 1993
- B-CLUB (138-go) (B-Club No. 138), Bandai, 1997
- Yoshiyuki Tomino, Tomino Yoshiyuki zenshigoto – 1964-1999 (Yoshiyuki Tomino’s Complete Works – 1964-1999), Kinema Junposha, 1999
- Masahiro Haraguchi, Kenji Nagao, Masaoka Akahoshi, Tatsunoko puro insaidaazu (Tatsunoko Production Insiders), Kodansha, 2002
- Sogetsu aato sentaa no kiroku jikko iinkai (Organizing Committee for the Sogetsu Art Center Record), Kagayake 60 nendai sogetsu aato sentaa no zenkiroku (Shine 1960s Complete Record of the Sogetsu Art Center), Film Art Sha, 2002
- Satoshi Kusanagi, Amerika de nihon no anime ha, dou miraretekitano ka? (How has Japanese Anime Been Viewed in America?), Tokuma Shoten, 2003
- Sunrise Kikakushitsu (Sunrise Planning Room), Kisousha, Sanraizu zen sakuhin shuusei I, II (Complete Sunrise Works I and II), Sunrise, 2007